With the recent warmth in San Francisco, I’ve actually been making use of my outdoor space (which is quite a novelty). Perhaps Mark Twain never actually said “The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco,” but anyone who’s spent the summer here knows that the sentiment still rings true… most of the time.
All this sunshine makes me think of new design ideas and ways I could update the look of my home, both indoors and out. Perhaps it’s time to do some redecorating? Here are some clever and inspiring home designs I’ve come across in my quest for a fresh outlook:
- Material Girls. A design blog for interior décor, I love the bold colors in this recent post about unique design details that make a space truly out of the ordinary. The striped multicolored floor is incredible, as is the hallway with yellow and white striped walls meeting green chevrons on the floor.
- Design Mom. In a recent posting, the author ruminates on the modern accessibility of interior design advice. It’s true that with modern communication you can get expert help from anywhere in the world and sometimes having an outsider’s opinion is all you need to get a fresh perspective. Other posts include useful advice and inspiration on places where interior design and motherhood intersect, which is a challenge for many stylish moms I know.
- Making it Lovely. Slowly transforming a house is a time-consuming process, yet this blog has inspiring tips, photos, and suggestions for every room as the author does it herself. Because I’m a sucker for ceramics and have a little collection myself (cough, cough) I enjoyed her post about how to best arrange a ceramics collection.
- Apartment Therapy. An old roommate of mine showed me the book years ago and I’ve been addicted ever since. Perfect for summer decorating are these farm inspired ceramic pieces. White minimalism goes with almost every design, so why not add a whimsical egg holder or milk jug cup measure set to your kitchen?
- Freshome. This site always has the wildest photos and design ideas, ranging from things I could see in my own apartment to totally crazy how-could-you-do-that (yet inspiring) designs. This cheese-inspired staircase is just one example. The round cut outs and child-friendly treads are beautifully thought out, making the stairs more than just a home necessity.
I’m curious about other design sites you are addicted to: any further reading suggestions?
Design collage image courtesy of Bill S. Living room image courtesy of Posh Living, LLC. Office image courtesy of Jeremy Levine.
[…] looking at all those design blogs, I came across one that bridges the gap across the Atlantic. Decor8 is written by an American […]